Drug and alcohol addiction is without a doubt one of the single greatest problems that this nation has ever experienced. The biggest concern with drug and alcohol addiction is, even if a person does go to rehab, will they stay sober afterward and will they achieve lasting and permanent sobriety? This is the major question that gets asked, and not without good reason. However, individuals have realized that addiction aftercare and recovery go hand-in-hand. Aftercare helps prevent individuals from experiencing relapses. They find it much easier to maintain sobriety with aftercare treatment.
The fact of the matter is, the threat of relapse is the single most concerning aspect of the addiction and rehabilitation community. The simple truth is, many people relapse in this country even after getting help from a treatment center.
The actual statistics on relapse are grim. For example:
- According to the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration, drug and alcohol rehab statistics show to us that the overall percentage of people who will relapse after a period of recovery ranges anywhere from no less than 50% to 90% depending on which rehab program they go to and what steps they take after rehab is completed! This is truly shocking and sad, but it is the truth of the matter.
- The chances of relapsing are much higher when an addict goes to a government or state funded rehab as opposed to a private center, but the chance of relapse exist for all individuals in recovery.
- To take one kind of addict, for example, heroin addicts can relapse between eight and ten times before being able to actually maintain their sobriety and abstinence from their drug of choice. Heroin, in fact, is one of the most relapse-prone addictions out there, and it is something that can only create a bigger problem in the future if it is not addressed correctly.
How Addiction Aftercare and Recovery Work
Studies also show that aftercare is the single greatest tool for preventing a relapse from occurring. There was a great article written about the subject of relapse, aftercare, and a how to achieve lifetime sobriety and abstinence. Here are the bullet points from the article in the magazine, “Addiction” that maps it out perfectly:
- People need to engage in aftercare because their chances of obtaining a lifetime of sobriety are much greater if they do. Addiction aftercare and recovery provide stability and peace of mind for an individual, giving them a constant medium to continue working on their abstinence.
- Addiction aftercare and recovery increases the likelihood of a recovered addict having a relapse-free lifetime by about two-hundred percent.
- When one does not engage in aftercare immediately upon completing a treatment center, the odds of that person relapsing within three months of completing the program are roughly around fifty/fifty.
At A Forever Recovery, we offer very helpful aftercare services. We understand that sobriety is not sobriety until a recovering addict has proven that they will be sober for life. At A Forever Recovery, we offer aftercare programs that we tailor-make for each client. Call us today for more information.