While in rehab it will mostly be about your recovery and the traditional approach of getting clean and sober, but there will also be supplemental activities you can participate in. Rehabilitation can be exhausting, which is why taking frequent breaks from the intense therapy sessions is just as important as rehab itself. This way patients can heal their body, mind, and soul and have a successful recovery.
How Supplemental Activities Help
Rehab is a lot of work and can be very intense. From group therapy to detoxification to one-on-one counseling sessions, it can feel as though all you are doing is receiving treatment 24/7. Due to the intensity of rehab, it is important to frequently take breaks and enjoy other activities to see the world around you. Many addicts give up things they once loved to do because they made their substance of choice priority. This results in addicts losing sight of the hobbies and other enjoyable activities they once really liked to do. Learning again to relax, laugh and enjoy yourself without drugs is an essential part of recovery and is just as important as group therapy.
At a quality rehab facility, residents can enjoy several supplemental activities to let them relax and clear their heads and re-energize themselves for their next step in their treatment program.
Types of Supplemental Activities
While every rehabilitation facility is different, there are several types of supplemental activities that patients can do to relax from a long day of rehab. Some of the types of supplemental activities include:
- Kayaking: While this activity depends on the location, kayaking is an excellent way to feel calm and relaxed during rehab. It is the perfect way to enjoy nature and calm one’s mind. Kayaking also doubles as exercise and is a fun way to build up strength.
- Bowling: Bowling is a great and friendly way to get rid of any competitive or stressful feelings. Some rehab centers arrange trips to local bowling alleys to help patients learn how to have fun while being sober.
- Horseback riding: Animals have an incredible healing power. Some rehab centers will include horseback riding as part of a weekend activity to help patients relax and exercise their muscles.
- Walking: Walking is always a great way to relax your mind, body, and soul. Many rehab centers will have walking paths for patients to take walks on to reflect on their day.
- Swimming: Some rehab centers will have a swimming pool where patients can relax under the sun and improve their muscle endurance.
- Watching movies: Some rehabilitation centers will have a place in the rehab center to watch movies, and other centers will make a trip to a local movie theater for patients to enjoy their sobriety outside of rehab while relaxing and enjoying a movie.
Learn More About Supplemental Activities at A Forever Recovery
We know how important it is to take a break from treatment and participate in other activities to relax and reflect upon the day. We offer supplemental activities, so our patients don’t feel stuck in a rehab facility but feel as though they are in a home away from home. We know that traditional approaches are beneficial, but we also know how stressful and intense rehab can be, which is why we feel supplemental activities are essential.
At A Forever Recovery, we have sought to bring together several trained and licensed professionals or certified recovering members of many different modalities that have a background in the addiction field. We aim to provide a recovering environment that is unique by bringing together many different types of counselors.
We want to guide our clients into finding the type of treatments that are best for their specific needs. If you or a loved one is struggling with addiction and would like to learn more about our supplemental activities, call us at our toll-free number to speak with one of our advisors.