Alcoholism and alcohol abuse are widespread issues that touch the lives of many. These diseases don’t discriminate and can affect anyone, regardless of demographic or economic background; we’re all equal in the eyes of alcohol. Alcohol reacts with the brain and nervous system: It alters our moods, sensations, and judgment, and because of this, it can play a major role in poor decision-making. Prolonged and excessive alcohol consumption also has physical consequences, including liver damage, weight gain, and much more. Use the following resources to educate yourself regarding alcohol consumption, alcohol abuse, and the implications thereof. Knowing the facts might make you a smarter drinker and help you to spread the word of safer, informed alcohol consumption as it pertains to those of legal age.
- Alcohol Abuse Facts and Resources: This resource provides basic information about alcohol abuse as well as further resources for parents and teens.
- Alcoholism and Abuse: Get the facts about alcoholism and abuse and what the differences, signs, and effects of each are.
- 11 Facts About Alcohol Abuse: This list of facts and statistics is a great starting point to understanding the issue and effects of alcohol abuse.
- The Issue of Underage Drinking: SUNY Potsdam addresses the issue of underage drinking on this page and provides facts and solutions to help effectively address this problem.
- Why Do Some Adolescents Drink?: The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services provides insight and information about why teens may choose to drink and the risks thereof in this detailed report.
- The Facts About Underage Drinking: The CDC has provided this list of facts and statistics related to underage drinking.
- The Dangers of Underage Drinking: Learn more about the consequences of underage drinking with this resource.
- Too Much, Too Soon, Too Risky: This is an engaging page that addresses the realities of teen drinking.
- The Basics of Binge Drinking, Alcohol Abuse, and Addiction: Use this easy-to-digest page about binge drinking and alcohol abuse to learn more and help you better understand the issues.
- Excessive Binge Drinking is a Problem Among Teens: A study has found that excessive binge drinking among teens has become a serious problem. This article will give you the facts.
- Binge Drinking Terminology and Patterns of Use: This is a really informative page that provides information about binge drinking and binge drinking trends among the population today.
- A Snapshot of the Consequences of College Drinking: There are serious consequences for binge consumption of alcohol. Use this resource to educate yourself about the realities of drinking heavily.
- Alcohol Self-Assessment: Use this self-assessment to gauge your alcohol consumption.
Drinking and Driving
- Get the Facts on Drinking and Driving: Alcohol affects the brain in many ways; learn more here about effects of alcohol on one’s ability to drive and some statistics in support of safer, sober drivers.
- Impaired Driving Information: The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration provides facts and the latest information on driving while impaired.
- MADD Facts About Drunk Driving: Mothers Against Drunk Driving is a national organization dedicated to informing communities and fighting against drunk driving.
- Alcohol Crash Facts and More: This page provides statistics related to alcohol-related vehicle crashes.
- Underage Drinking: Adult Consequences: Learn more about the consequences of drunk driving and the risks involved.
Children, Alcohol, and Parenting
- Alcohol and Your Child: Use this PDF to better inform yourself and your child, teaching them how to make the best choices.
- The Surgeon General’s Call to Action to End Underage Drinking: This extensive and detailed guide has a lot of great information that parents, educators, and community leaders can use to educate the young people around them.
- Parents’ Guide to Preventing Underage Drinking: Parents can use the information provided in this guide to educate themselves and their children.
- Warning Signs of Teen Drinking: Parents should be aware of the warning signs of teen drinking in order to most effectively address the problem as early on as possible.
Alcohol and Health
- Alcohol and Substance Abuse: Alcohol and substance abuse may have lasting effects on one’s mental and physical health; learn more to be better informed.
- Alcohol Abuse and Oral Health: Alcohol abuse doesn’t just destroy your liver: It does a number on your oral health, too.
- Alcohol and Drug Abuse and Addiction: This detailed guide for professionals proves a ton of in-depth information about substance abuse, including alcoholism.
Alcohol, Calories, and Weight
- Calculate Your Alcohol Calories Consumed: Use this alcohol calculator to determine how many calories you’ve consumed through alcohol. You may be surprised at what you find.
- Dietary Information for Alcoholic Drinks: This handy chart estimates the size, alcohol servings per drink, and calories in many popular alcoholic beverages.
- The Caloric Value of Alcoholic Beverages: This detailed resource provides information on how our bodies process alcohol and provides alternatives for those who wish to reduce the calories they consume through alcoholic beverages.
- Analyzing the Beer Belly: Get a realistic perspective on alcohol consumption and what it might add up to over time.
- Understanding the Empty Calories and Low Nutritional Value of Alcohol: Alcohol might not seem high in calories, but the empty calories of alcohol can wreak havoc on a healthy body.
- Alcoholism: A medical reference from the University of Maryland Medical Center describes in detail what alcoholism is and how it affects the human body.
- The Journal of Studies on Alcohol and Drugs: This is an extensive database of medical resources and studies related to alcohol and drug use.
- Teen Drug and Alcohol Abuse: This page gives an overview of two studies by the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration.
Fetal Alcohol Syndrome
- Fetal Alcohol Syndrome (FAS) Resources: This resource features information for parents, medical providers, and educators regarding FAS.
- An Overview of Fetal Alcohol Syndrome: Review the basic information available here regarding the seriousness and prevention of FAS.
- All About Fetal Alcohol Syndrome: This detailed document, including images, explains FAS and its causes and effects on a child.
- FAS Causes, Symptoms, and Diagnosis: Learn more about FAS, including the causes thereof and the impact it has on your child.
Alcohol Laws and Policies
- The Penalties for Drinking and Driving: Penalties for drinking and driving may differ from state to state, but this resource can give you a basic idea of the legal consequences of choosing to drink and drive.
- Underage Drinking Laws: Brief information regarding the consequences for adults who choose to provide alcohol to minors is available here, supplemented with additional facts.