Often referred to as sexual addiction, the disorder has been widely debated in past years. The debate is whether it is a real problem or just an excuse for irresponsible sexual behavior.
Discussions of sexual addiction often take people to memories of mainstream media, and thoughts of celebrities and athletes who have gone to treatment for what they describe to be a sexual addiction, almost always after being caught in infidelity. When considering things like this, the tendency may be to think that sexual addiction is no more than a farce. The reality is that people do suffer from irresistible urges to engage in sexual behaviors compulsively, no matter what the risk, and well after their lives have been devastated by their behaviors.
Signs and Symptoms of Sexual Addiction
Sex is among the most basic of human needs and desires. But, when it is the subject of addiction, the devastation can be deadly and far-reaching. Understanding that sexual addiction is just as uncontrollable as any other addiction creates a dangerous situation for everyone involved.
- Consistent inability to resist sexual impulses
- Frequent and uncontrollable engagement in sexual activities despite best intentions to abstain
- Several failed attempts to decrease or stop sexual behaviors
- Preoccupation with sexual preparation (rituals)
- Neglect of responsibilities and obligations resulting from compulsive engagement in sexual behavior
- Continuation of sexual behaviors despite negative consequences in marriage, career, personal relationships, and finances
- Isolation from social, recreational, or occupational events and activities
- Depression or anxiety if an effort to engage in sexual behavior fails
More often than not, a sex addict can recognize that he or she has a problem. This happens because of the incredible intensity of sexual urges associated with the addiction and the inability to control them. A lack of control over such strong urges can lead to dangerous and reckless behavior. Sex is among the most common methods of transmitting infectious diseases. Therefore sexual addiction can have grave consequences on the health of the addict and everyone around him or her.
Signs That a Loved One May Be Trapped in Sexual Addiction
- Obsessive viewing of pornographic material such as magazines, movies, and lingerie catalogs
- Increasing isolation from his or her spouse without disclosure of whereabouts
- Becoming more controlling during sex with significant other
- Experiencing mood swings before or after sex
- Becoming increasingly less affectionate after sex, with the development of emotional detachment
- Being demanding about the location, style, and time of sex
- Reacting angrily to questions about sexual behaviors
- Hiding pornography at home, in the car, or at work
- Justifying compulsive or excessive sexual behaviors
Like all addicts, if a sex addict could change independent of professional help, he or she likely would.
No one wants to see a loved one suffer in any way. Therefore, the natural coping mechanism for many loved ones is enabling. They fall victim to codependency to keep the peace. This is especially important for spouses and significant others of sexual addicts.
Sexual Addiction Can Be Treated
The turmoil and pain of sexual addiction can devastate the lives of the addict and his or her loved ones. If left untreated, addiction is an unending and progressive disease that takes the lives of millions of people.
Contrary to substance addiction, and many other behavioral addictions, recovery from sexual addiction is not as simple as abstaining from sex. Sex is part of human nature and survival of the human race. Therefore, effective recovery from sexual addiction must integrate healthy and safe sexual practices.
Why A Forever Recovery is Your Best Option for Treatment
At A Forever Recovery, we understand how difficult it is to turn to help in the first place. And we know the road to sex addiction recovery must be unique for each suffering individual. This is why we offer an individualized treatment program with no time limits. We want to afford time for each person to develop and achieve his or her goals for recovery.
If you or a loved one are suffering from sexual addiction, call us now to speak with a trained counselor. We can develop an individualized treatment program that empowers one to overcome the personal traumas that feed the sexual addiction. Don’t let the cycle of sexual addiction continue. Call now!