Home » National Prevention Week: How You Can Participate
National Prevention Week: How You Can Participate
It’s understandable that we’re focused on the deadly virus that is creating a host of problems in every city in the US today. However, it may be beneficial to think about something else for a few days. With that idea in mind, why not take a few minutes to learn about National Prevention Week. You may find that you have some free time these days and can participate in this public education event.
Drug addiction didn’t go away because we stopped paying attention. But, amid the challenges and fears imposed on our nation by COVID-19, many people are focused on those issues only. In fact, it seems to be the only thing newsworthy today. Unfortunately, drug-related problems continue to cause needless deaths across the country, regardless of the virus. For that reason, we want to tell you about National Prevention Week.
National Prevention Week (NPW) is an annual event sponsored by SAMHSA. Each year, communities and organizations work together to increase awareness about substance use and prevention. This year’s event is scheduled for May 10th through the 16th. Their goal is to promote prevention by providing ideas, tools, and resources that encourage people to take action and contribute to the cause.
What are Some of the NPW Events?
Each year the themes for NPW differ.
NPW is held in May because it’s an excellent time for schools and organizations to host prevention-themed events before the school year is over. Studies show that adolescents and college students often use substances for the first time during summer months.
Need immediate help?
Call now to be connected
with a treatment specialist.
How to Participate in National Prevention Week
SAMHSA provides a variety of ways for individuals to take part in this worthwhile event. Here are just a few:
- Participate in the social media challenge. You won’t have to be in a crowd to participate, and this is a great way to contribute. So, just fill out and print the sign provided, take a selfie with it, and share on social media with #PreventionHappensHere or #NPW2020. Tag everyone in your contacts and invite them to join the challenge.
- Download stickers and graphics to share on social media and have online dialogues with others about NPW.
- Download and share SAMHSA resources and materials about the NPW daily themes and also learn more about the events.
- Watch and share NPW videos.
- Volunteer your time at local boys and girls clubs or other local youth-based organizations. There are a variety of ways you can help young people and have a positive effect on their lives.
- Learn how to host an NPW event in your community.
- Post updates about your participation by sharing with SAMHSA.
You can also find ideas and inspiration by checking out NPW’s online planning toolkit. Get busy, because it’s only a few days away.
Learn About Our Evidence-Based Addiction Treatment
At A Forever Recovery, we understand the impact of National Prevention Week on society. The efforts of everyone involved have saved many lives. But, there are still far too many people struggling with addiction today.
If you are one of those individuals who need treatment for addiction, please call us today. We offer an evidence-based program that can be adapted to your specific needs. In our program, you can take the time you need to heal. Therefore, before you leave our facility, we want you to feel comfortable with your ability to reintegrate into society.
Learn more about our program today by talking with one of our representatives at the toll-free number provided above.