Alcoholism and alcohol abuse are widespread issues that touch the lives of many. These diseases don’t discriminate and can affect anyone, regardless of demographic or economic background; we’re all equal in the eyes of alcohol. Alcohol reacts with the brain and nervous system: It alters our moods, sensations, and judgment, and because of this, it can play a major role in poor decision-making. Prolonged and excessive alcohol consumption also has physical consequences, including liver damage, weight gain, and much more. Use the following alcohol information resources to educate yourself regarding alcohol consumption, alcohol abuse, and the implications thereof. Knowing the facts might make you a smarter drinker and help you to spread the word of safer, informed alcohol consumption as it pertains to those of legal age.
- Alcohol Abuse Facts and Resources: This resource provides basic information about alcohol abuse as well as further resources for parents and teens.
- 11 Facts About Alcohol Abuse: This list of facts and statistics is a great starting point to understanding the issue and effects of alcohol abuse.
- The Issue of Underage Drinking: SUNY Potsdam addresses the issue of underage drinking on this page and provides facts and solutions to help effectively address this problem.
- Why Do Some Adolescents Drink?: The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services provides insight and information about why teens may choose to drink and the risks thereof in this detailed report.
- The Facts About Underage Drinking: The CDC has provided this list of facts and statistics related to underage drinking.
- The Dangers of Underage Drinking: Learn more about the consequences of underage drinking with this resource.
- Too Much, Too Soon, Too Risky: This is an engaging page that addresses the realities of teen drinking.
- The Basics of Binge Drinking, Alcohol Abuse, and Addiction: Use this easy-to-digest page about binge drinking and alcohol abuse to learn more and help you better understand the issues.
- Excessive Binge Drinking is a Problem Among Teens: An alcohol information study has found that excessive binge drinking among teens has become a serious problem. This article will give you the facts.
- A Snapshot of the Consequences of College Drinking: There are serious consequences for binge consumption of alcohol. Use this resource to educate yourself about the realities of drinking heavily.
Drinking and Driving
- Impaired Driving Information: The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration provides facts and the latest information on driving while impaired.
- MADD Facts About Drunk Driving: Mothers Against Drunk Driving is a national organization dedicated to informing communities and fighting against drunk driving.
Children, Alcohol, and Parenting
- The Surgeon General’s Call to Action to End Underage Drinking: This extensive and detailed guide has a lot of great information that parents, educators, and community leaders can use to educate the young people around them.
Alcohol and Health
- Alcohol and Substance Abuse: Alcohol and substance abuse may have lasting effects on one’s mental and physical health; learn more to be better informed.
- Alcohol Abuse and Oral Health: Alcohol abuse doesn’t just destroy your liver: It does a number on your oral health, too.
Alcohol, Calories, and Weight
- Calculate Your Alcohol Calories Consumed: Use this alcohol calculator to determine how many calories you’ve consumed through alcohol. You may be surprised at what you find.
- Dietary Information for Alcoholic Drinks: This handy chart estimates the size, alcohol servings per drink, and calories in many popular alcoholic beverages.
- Analyzing the Beer Belly: Get a realistic perspective on alcohol consumption and what it might add up to over time.
- Teen Drug and Alcohol Abuse: This page gives an overview of two studies by the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration.
Fetal Alcohol Syndrome
- Fetal Alcohol Syndrome (FAS) Resources: This resource features information for parents, medical providers, and educators regarding FAS.
- An Overview of Fetal Alcohol Syndrome: Review the basic alcohol information available here regarding the seriousness and prevention of FAS.
Alcohol Laws and Policies
- The Penalties for Drinking and Driving: Penalties for drinking and driving may differ from state to state, but this resource can give you a basic idea of the legal consequences of choosing to drink and drive.
- Underage Drinking Laws: Brief information regarding the consequences for adults who choose to provide alcohol to minors is available here, supplemented with additional facts.